Friday 29 May 2015

Feta and Pomegranate Cous Cous Salad

Summer just can't make up it's mind this year.  One day we're barbecuing, next we're stewing, so when asked to make a salad to go with a barbecue, I put my mind to work for something that can used another time.

Let me explain.

I always make enough to feed an army; I cant bear the thought of someone coming to our home for dinner and going home hungry, or the thought that I might take food to someones house and be seen as stingy. No, no, no.  So invariably, no matter how delicious the food, I always end up with leftovers.

I also can't bear the thought of eating summery salads on a freezing cold, blustery day; food must match the surroundings (think tapas in the sun in Spain, or a steaming cappuccino in a piazza in Italy).

Finally, I love leftovers; I love opening my fridge and seeing cling filmed bowls of good food good to go - it makes me happy.

So this salad had to be good for this changing weather.

With all this in mind, I went for a glorious cous cous salad, emboldened by the sprinkle of pomegranate and brought back to earth with mint and feta.  Perfect on a summers day with a barbecued chicken thigh or two and actually, even better served up alongside a lamb Tagine on a blustery day, which the next day just happened to be - you could say I planned it that way....



Feta and Pomegranate Cous Cous Salad (Serves 6-8)

  • 300g cous cous
  • 450ml chicken or vegetable stock
  • A fat clove of garlic (or two, depending on taste)
  • A good squeeze of lemon juice
  • 250g pack feta, crumbled into large chunks
  • Olive Oil (extra virgin if you have it)
  • Salt and pepper
  • Large bunch Mint, leaves chopped
  • 2-3 salad/spring onions, snipped into rounds about 5cm in width
  • Seeds from one pomegranate



  1. Pour the stock over the cous cous in a large bowl, cover with cling film and leave to soak for 5-10 minutes
  2. Fluff the cous cous with a fork and add the garlic, lemon juice, feta, olive oil, mint, spring onions and a good grind of salt and pepper and stir well, taking care not to break up the cheese.  You can make ahead until this point.
  3. Tip the salad into a serving bowl and top with the pomegranate seeds just before serving so the colour doesn't bleed.
  4. Tuck in


Delicious

No comments:

Post a Comment